Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dispatch From the Front

This is just a wee drive-by post to let you know that so far, we've survived a few minor (and major) skirmishes on the Potty Training front relatively intact.  There seems to be a progressive learning curve, both for The Ducklings and for me, and while victory isn't yet in sight, I do feel we have a fighting chance.

I still haven't had to resort to the Smarties, as for the moment, hand-washing is considered an adequate reward.  But I'm planning my final battle in the coming days when I have reinforcements arriving, and chocolate will play a pivotal role.  Grammy doesn't know this yet, but she's about to be promoted to my Commander-in-Chief, and Grampy will be our Logistical support.  Once we've manned our battle stations - Friday, shortly after breakfast is Zero Hour - we're going to push through until dusk, come hell or overflowed toilets (or both).  I expect some resistance, but hopefully Smarties will win them over.

I have learned a few things along the way.  Firstly, failure is actually success.  They need to have accidents to know they don't want to have accidents.  Secondly, the great thing about struggling with undies x 3 1,868 times a session is that they know if they're damp, which (usually) prompts a desperate "Mommy!  Pee pee!".  Third, having them stay on the potty until they are completely done - which can be a challenge - is key.  Diversions are often necessary.  Fourth, it's amazing how truly and honestly thrilled I can be for them when they succeed.  They are so proud of themselves!  And I am so proud of them.  We're getting there.

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!!! I have always said this! It's a twisted way of parenting, but so, so true. Outward voice: No David, don't touch the TV. Inward voice: Do it, do it! You'll see I say the same thing and learn its a no-no! Again, twisted.

    Hint:I used to keep a basket of favourite books next to the potty to keep the learner "in position". Select them carefully--wipe-off board books are best...

    ReplyDelete